Sunday, July 19, 2009

I'm not the only patient here

As always, the Shermans don't see the pont in underdoing anything. Here's a rundown on who feels crummy and why. John and Bernadette are coughing but mainly at night. This all began before I went to the hospital and they finished a round of meds which left them feeling better but still coughing-a lot. Then there's Clare who also began with fever and sore throat and meds before my surgery. She's back down with the same. Yesterday Mary jumped in to join the fun with a fever. . All of this adds up to way too much to deal with around here but we plan to get everyone looked at again and hopefully on the mend. It's bad enough that these kids have to be of more help than usual to mom at this point but to be sick in the middle of July just stinks. I hope to soon be posting that everyone is happy, well and back to feeling like playing.

I really haven't ventured away from the house yet in the week I've been home. I'm actually kind of looking forward to my appointment on Tues. just to get out. I have been walking in the house and doing stairs. I haven't walked outside as of yet because I don't want to get so far away that it is hard to get back. That is a project for this week though.

My incision is healing beautifully. In fact whoever closed me up deserves whatever they pay him and more. I dare say, you may not even be able to see much of a scar from this in the future. Despite being a very long incision it is VERY thin with no stitches on the outside. Very good work by someone indeed!

I told Gil yesterday, I feel like a baby. I really need two naps a day. This is so hard. I'm not a napper let alone more than once a day. My job around here very often includes rousing various teenagers from one couch or another at any given time of the day. It goes totally against my grain to be the one lounging. I know...enjoy it while it lasts...I will try.

Michael has been so sweet through all of this. He has recently realized that I have a boo boo and is very concerned about it. I was afraid of what it would mean not to be able to pick him up but so far that hasn't been an issue. He's becoming more and more independent and there is always someone here who can grab him if the need arises. He loves to entertain us by having anyone who's near sit down and then he does his rendition of certain songs and breaks into some dance moves too. He's a riot. He's also becoming more verbal in stating what he needs or wants which is helpful at this time. The only thing Michael gets shorted on around here is outings. It's usually simpler for errands, baseball games etc. if he doesn't come along. Yesterday, though, Jen took him and John to McDonalds for lunch and today Gil took him and a couple of the kids to the mall just to play in the play area. A couple outings just for him without anyone else trying to get "something done" at the same time.

I've had some ups and downs with pain medications which leave me feeling awful like this morning. I ended up substituting tylenol for my usual narcotic and ended up in a cold sweat and almost passing out. I hope to have these things come to an end soon and get back to a little more of a "normal" me very soon. They say I will feel better than ever eventually. Being patient as I can here.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Thinking of you, Barb, and sending lots of love and prayers for continued healing. Love ya!

Marie Ariel said...

Oy!
Gives meaning to the words "rough patch."
While all this (the kids' illnesses & your operation & continuing too slow -- however fast -- recovery for everyone) has been going on, I've had a terrific vacation in Iceland. Life is definitely not fair sometimes!!
Much, much love and wishes for good health to all of you.
Marie