Thursday, July 16, 2009

9 days post op

I am going to attempt to type a little each day just to kind of keep the days straight here. I'm still at the point that I don't really care if I forget this whole experience, but I know at some point it is going to drive me crazy trying to piece the time together.

I've been home since Sat. night and coming home itself felt heavenly. I mad a mistake during discharge complaining that the pain meds were making me too sleepy. They switched me to something not as strong that didn't have the sleepy side effect. BIG mistake! It took me a few nights of misery to realize that sleepy at this stage isn't a bad thing. We called the surgeon yesterday and long story short I am back on the right pain meds and had a much better night last night. My friend who is a nurse practitioner was wise to point out to me that when they cut the sternum open every breath is a movement and pain control is important for the first two weeks. Needless to say I'm watching the clock (thanks Chris!).

It was wonderful to have Judy (Gil's sister) drop by and lend a hand with lunchtime today. Thanks Judy! We have been blessed beyond belief by family, friends' and neighbors' care and concern.

This is going to be slow and this is in part why I am writing. I think it might help me in a week to look back and see the progress made. So here goes the whining part of what exactly hurts and what this feels like.

The ten inch cut really doesn't hurt belive it or not. The smaller horizontal incision near my right shoulder hurts much more. That is ewhere I was attatched to the heart lung machine. The pressure is worse than the pain. I feel pressure from my shoulders to my waist and it is impossible to take in a full breath. When pain med runs low it is painful to breath. I keep getting very lightheaded/naseous and experiencing some visual disturbances which are very annoying. Periodic sweating episodes make me wonder if I have a fever but I think it is my body getting rid of some fluid. I just went up a flight of stairs this afternoon and felt a tightness in my chest. The other day I was ambitious and tried to begin my cardiac rehab excercises and got that same very tight feeling. I need to learn how to start slower. That's not really my thing. I slept in the recliner for an hour this afternoon and felt awful afterwards. I'm just not accustomed to laying around and just plain don't like the way it makesa me feel mentally. Physically, right now, I have no choice. Lat night was much more comfortable but I was still awake a large amount of the night which I guess can be common. Not hurting in the middle of the night was a God send though and I'll take it.

My time is up comfort wise. More tomorrow.

Barb

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, Barb...I'm sorry that this is so awful! Big hugs coming your way!

Julie said...

Barb,
We are still on the road, heading home to PA and although I would love to stop and see you I know this is not an appropriate time for you. Please know you are in my heart and prayers daily, many many times. I pray the healing speeds and you are able to feel more like yourself soon!

Hugs and love!
Julie